If your child is interested in joining the band in 2023, please download the form below and return it to the school. After the band registration forms have been received, the children will be assessed for suitable instruments. This is a two-step process where all COVID-safe requirements will be adhered to.
1) Familiarisation with the instruments and mouthpiece tests. The reason for this is that different instruments are played in different ways and children may be better suited to one particular style of instrument.
2) Noting the children’s preference for the instrument they would like to play.
Instrument allocation is made in conjunction with the children’s own preference after they have seen and briefly tried all the available types of instruments and the band conductor’s expert opinion.
A brief overview:
– Joining the band requires no prior knowledge of music by children or parents.
– Available instruments are trumpet, trombone, euphonium, saxophone, flute, clarinet, bass guitar (limited) and percussion (limited).
– Instruments are available for hire from the school. Those with access to their own band instrument are equally welcome.
– Rehearsals for Training Band are Monday lunchtimes and Friday mornings at 7.45am.
– Rehearsals for Performance Band are Tuesday mornings at 7.45am and Thursday afternoons 3.15-4.15pm
– Children need weekly instrument lessons and tutors are available to give these lessons during school time. Cost is $40 per half hour lesson, plus a room fee. Alternatively, we offer lessons in pairs for $25, which includes the room hire fee.
– A list of tutors in the area will also be available.
– The performance band performs at a variety of events during the year, including The NSW Band festival, The NSSWE Spring Festival, Swain Gardens and Warringah Mall Spectacular.
BAND AND INSTRUMENT EXPENSES FOR 2023
- Annual Band fee $375.00
- Instrument hire $300.00
- Instrument usage charge – keyboard and percussion $100.00
- Essential elements Book/CD (Training band only) $30.00
These annual fees cover the Band Director’s salary and the cost of instrument repairs and servicing, festival entry fee, buses, etc.